Academic Discipline and Expectations
The Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, is conducting research pursuing the vision described in the Mission Statement below.
Embracing its spirit, the Institute has decided to launch a new department that specializes in Central and South America indigenous pathogens, with a special focus on Trypanosoma cruzi, the causative agent of Chagas disease.
The Institute currently has an open position for its trailblazer, that is, the Professor with outstanding competency who is to start up the department with strong leadership, dedicate him/herself to Field Research, and broaden its scope.
The successful candidate will also be involved in the Institute’s management as a member of Board of Professors, and teach under/post-graduates and other programs.
The tropics, the most ecologically diverse region on the Earth, presents an ongoing complexity of tropical diseases and other health problems. In view of the remarkable advances made in the field of international exchange in recent years, it is imperative that these problems be addressed from a global perspective.
Based on this understanding, the Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, aims to overcome tropical diseases, particularly infectious diseases, and the various health problems associated with them, in cooperation with related institutions, to strive for excellence in the following areas:
- Spear-head research in tropical medicine and international health
- Global contribution through disease control and health promotion in the tropics by applying the fruits of the research
- Cultivation of the researchers and specialists in the above fields
after April 2024.
Documents to submit
- CV (Form 1) (Excel File / PDF File)
- List of publications (Form 2)(Word File / PDF File)
- List of awarded competitive research grants (Form 3) (Excel File / PDF File)
- Copy of ten most significant publications in academic journals
- Research aspiration. Any form with maximum 2 pages or 1000 English words, whichever is less.
- Up to three references with name, organization, and contact.
Friday, September 29, 2023
Late submission will not be accepted with no exception.
For each of the documents, upload the pair of (1) PDF and (2) editable files such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, to
Ensure to correct any character / data corruption beforehand. Once uploaded, correction will not be permitted.
Personal information included in the documents shall be used only for the purpose of candidate selection process and employment arrangement.
Infectious Disease Research Support Planning Division (Nekken Soumu),
Research Promotion and International Affairs Department, Nagasaki University
The shortlisted candidates might be requested to visit the Institute in person and make a presentation on their research history and aspirations. The candidates are responsible for their own transportation expenses.
The employment is contract-basis for a fixed term.
The Institute will prioritize the following candidates for the sake of Globalization:
1. Non Japanese nationals
2. Japanese nationals who obtained degree(s) in the university(ies) outside Japan
3. Japanese nationals who engaged in education or research for 1 year or more in the country(ies) outside Japan
The selection board conducts assessments in a fair and consistent manner and when they found a male and a female candidates carry the same level of excellence, the position will be awarded to the female candidate in line with Nagasaki Universities’ gender equality policy.
All Nagasaki University campuses are smoke-free to protect students and teaching staff from passive smoking. Smokers are discouraged from applying for the position. This is, however, not the case for those who swear off smoking after hiring.