On the 17th October 2023 at Twin Towers Hotel Homabay County, JICA-NUITM in collaboration with the Ministry of Health held a feedback meeting on Kwale exchange trip .
The Objectives of this meeting were;
- To share the experiences during the Kwale exchange visit of the CHPs, CHAs, Sub-county and County staff
- To see a way forward on the control of jiggers mainly geared towards sustainability.
The meeting was interactive, and JICA-NUITM got to present on the project’s progress and the achievements so far.
Mr. James Kabaka (County Public Health Officer) and Mr. Bernard Mboya (County Community Health Strategy Focal Person) chaired the meeting.
Mr. Collins Ondeny (Deputy Director Health) stated clearly that data collection is the responsibility of the MOH and Community Health Strategy department and facility inchrages should own this initiative.
Mr. Nixon (County Neglected Tropical Diseases coordinator) stated there was a need to scale up the mapping to other sub-counties and ensure proper data collection to inform decision-making.
JICA-NUITM said despite the project area, they would consider scaling up the intervention measures to other sub-counties but only with the availability of the data.
The MOH introduced LifeStraw Ltd to JICA-NUITM. LifeStraw wanted to support the school-going pupils with shoes in collaboration with Nagasaki University.
- Mr. Mboya would communicate with the 7 sub-county focal persons meeting, and after that, they would give a timeline on how to map the jigger’s cases.
- Hygiene and sanitation management
- Active action days
- Strengthen jiggers commitee
- Good reporting